12 Simple Steps to install WordPress locally
This tutorial will help you to install WordPress on your machine through WAMP software. Before starting the installation of WordPress on your machine, let me tell you something about it. WordPress is a free and open source blogging tool and a content management system based on PHP and MySQL. To use WordPress you must have a server (WAMP, XAMP) installed on your machine for its working environmen...
This tutorial will help you to install WordPress on your machine through WAMP software.
Before starting the installation of WordPress on your machine, let me tell you something about it.
- WordPress is a free and open source blogging tool and a content management system based on PHP and MySQL. To use WordPress you must have a server (WAMP, XAMP) installed on your machine for its working environment. Without a server you won’t be able to install WordPress. The server you will install, it should support PHP and MySQL requirements.
- Installing WordPress is quite easy and simple, so I suggest you to be patient. Here in this article I have used Wamp software (supports PHP and MySQL) for installing WordPress. You can use any web server of your choice to install WordPress.
Steps for installing WordPress
Step #1. As I said earlier WordPress needs a web server (which could be anyone, for e.g. I have used Wamp software for installing WordPress) to work on so first you need to install a software called WAMP (which has prebuilt localhost server) on your machine.
WAMP stands for Windows Apache MySQL and PHP.
Simply open any one of your browsers and download Wamp software on your system. This will provide a platform to install WordPress easily. Remember one thing, while installing Wamp, no other servers should be in active mode otherwise it will conflict installation of Wamp.
Step #2. After downloading Wamp, just do double click on its icon to run and install it in one of your directories (By default it gets installed on Local disk C ).
Step #3. Remember, every time you on your machine first you need to activate the (web server) Wamp server simply by double clicking on its icon. After activating it that you will see a green “W” mark (which looks red by default) on your task-bar.
Step #4. Now open your browser and type www.wordpress.org and easily download the latest version of WordPress as shown in the figure below:
Step #5. Open your directory where you have installed Wamp server and perform the following steps.
Directory (Local disk C, by default wamp is installed in this directory) –> wamp –> www–> copy the zip folder of WordPress here and do right click on it and select “extract here”. Now make a copy of the folder and rename it, here for e.g., it is renamed as “wordpress1”. Making a multiple copy of WordPress and renaming makes you comfortable to create your own blogs and website.
Step #6. Open your web browser and type the following on your address bar “localhost/phpmyadmin/” and press enter. Following page shown in figure will display on your screen:
Now select the database and create a database for your WordPress, lets say for e.g. “table” as shown in the figure below. Simply click on create and your database is ready to use.
Step #7. Now type “localhost” on your browser and from there select your copied folder (the one which you renamed for your WordPress website).
Step #8. After this following page will be obtained as shown in the figure below. Now click on the button ”Create a Configuration file” on the same page.
Step #9. Now after performing the above step, on the next page click on “Let’s go” button.
Step #10. Now this step is very important. You need to be little careful here. Keep in mind few things and proceed in this way:-
- Database Name should be same as that what you have created earlier for your WordPress.
- Username is “root” by default as per MySQL user name.
- The password should be left blank if you haven’t mentioned it at the time of creating your database otherwise type the same one if you have mentioned it earlier.
- Leave the other fields as it is. Now your page should look like as shown in the figure below. At last click on “Submit” button to proceed further.
Step #11. After this simply fill the respective fields on the next page and at last click on the button ”Install WordPress”. Your page will look like as shown in the figure below:
Step #12. And finally here comes your destination point. It’s a bingo from your side. Yes! you have successfully installed WordPress on your machine. Just to make sure that you have done all the steps in a perfect manner, you can login to your account.
Installing WordPress is lot easier than any other work. Once you become familiar with this exciting platform, you can make anything whtever you desire. From blogging to making a website. It is all free.
Purchase a domain for your self. Install the WordPress on it. And start doing wonders.
I hope this was as easy as I felt while installing WordPress on my localhost. Keep signing in and use this new technology to make effective websites for your business environment.
Let me know how simple and easy it was for you.