IS THEIR AWAY TO ADD BULK BUSINESS LISTINGS

Discussion in 'GeoCraft WordPress Theme' started by oneworldhype, Jan 15, 2013.

1. oneworldhype

oneworldhype New Member

How can I upload a batch of business listings?

---------------------------------------------------

You can upload bulk business listing in the .csv format. For it follow process given below.
    Go to the Geocraft > Import Export and export demo csv file from there.
    Match fields and add your listings and Re-upload exported csv file. It will automatically show at your site.

2. Nitesh

Nitesh Support Staff

You can upload bulk business listing in the .csv format. For it follow process given below.
    Go to the Geocraft > Import Export and export demo csv file from there.
    Match fields and add your listings and Re-upload exported csv file. It will automatically show at your site.

3. joshualevisturm

joshualevisturm Member

My site was done this way & I ran into a big problem when users signed up for free accounts to manange their listings. Once uploaded all your listings will all be authored under you & not visible to the businesses that login & make accounts. When a user that has a listing you set up, makes an account, their listing will not be under their account. Here is what you have to do if you want to give them that ability to edit & manage (after you do the mass upload or even if create their ad for them):
    geocraft settings - download csv file
    peek in your database & find that users author ID # - change it in the downloaded csv file
    geocraft settings - upload your csv file
    Now the author of the listing will see it in their dashboard when they sign in & they can manage their own listings.
    OOPS!!!!! tested this but when I did the upload, it didn't work?? Several warning messages flashed really fast but then it said uploaded successfully - but no changes were made? Is the upload function not working?? Can I manually upload this to where??

4. Nitesh

Nitesh Support Staff

5. joshualevisturm

joshualevisturm Member

Waiting on a reply for this....does not work for me. followed example exactly & nothing changes

6. Nitesh

Nitesh Support Staff

Support mail sent regarding this issue.

7. joshualevisturm

joshualevisturm Member

Thanks for the Support PM! Hopefully this may be easier to do in a future update!
    For those that need to know how to create your own site then change the authorship over to another business:
    1) back up FIRST, especially your database!!!
    2) export your csv file: dashboard - geocraft settings - import/export - export
    3) Open the csv file in excel or numbers & make changes to author (giving them correct author_id#) - you can find that # under Users when you hover over their name (after they have created a free account). I also have them contact me if they want to edit their own pages.
    4) In the csv file, blank out all the text under post_date column (not the heading) & export as a csv file - same name
    5) go back to the site under business listings. First change your screen options upper right to show the number of listings you have & click apply. Now you won't have to keep doing the same thing over with each page of listings (I learned the hard way). Now hit Bulk Actions - Listings , check Move to Trash, Check Apply to delete all listings.
    6) Now click Trash - bulk actions -delete all permanently (again) . If you don't delete then you have duplicate listings of all (been there - done that mistake too)!
    6) now you can upload & the author will be changed from your number to theirs allowing them access to their ad when they sign in
    8) go back & change the User privileges to what you want to allow them to do: Author, Contributor, etc.
    • Administrator - Somebody who has access to all the administration features
    • Editor - Somebody who can publish and manage posts and pages as well as manage other users' posts, etc.
    • Author - Somebody who can publish and manage their own posts THIS IS THE ONE - AUTHOR
    • Contributor - Somebody who can write and manage their posts but not publish them
    • Subscriber - Somebody who can only manage their profile
    Hope this helps anyone that had the same problem as me!! Thanks Nitesh & support for your help!

8. tobyb

tobyb Active Member

Thank you again Joshua, appreciate you taking the time to detail this, i'll go again :0

Cheers2u

9. joshualevisturm

joshualevisturm Member

good luck...I think i was shaking the first time I did it deleting over 250 ads!!! but thankfully it worked great!

10. joshualevisturm

joshualevisturm Member

Whoaaaaa hold ur horses folks on trying this....found a glitch AGAIN!!! Yes, it change the author correctly but just discovered that I have 250 listings now that it took out the line breaks when I downloaded it from the site!! Everything is run together under their information!!! Waiting on support to solve this one now (looks like days of work for me AGAIN).