Categories with Radio Buttons instead of checkboxes

Discussion in 'ShortCode Sumo WordPress Plugin' started by spammr, Aug 15, 2013.

1. spammr

spammr New Member

Hey guys. The back-end of the software seems to be pretty simple, (and very well-built, nicely done!)

However, the user end I am having some major issues with. I went to post a test ad just to see what the user would see, and the very first thing I noticed is that, the subcategories are not showing any of my sub-sub-categories. As well as, the sub-categories themselves are selectable, versus, being a title with selectable sub-categories (which is what I would have expected but also, need!)

For example. I have a category named For Sale. Within that I have a category named Electronics. Within that I have some categories labeled PC's, Laptops etc. Very specific kinds of electronics. As it is, it's set up to where people can list their ad in the Root (Electronics) as well as the MAIN root (For Sale). These are major problems for me! It would be impossible to keep something like that organized. I feel that there should be an option to make a category selectable or not selectable. (Remove the checkbox next to the category so that people can't post in that, only within it's sub categories. And if it's a category that doesn't have any sub categories, people can post in it. (Make sense?)

Now, with the check-boxes. As it is, when a user goes to post an ad, there are check boxes instead of radio buttons that forces the user to post in only one category. By using the form as it is, a user could pay a one time fee, and then post their listing in EVERY SINGLE SECTION of EVERY SINGLE CATEGORY of my classified ads site! That is very NOT good... :p

Those buttons should be radio buttons with only ONE being selectable (the "Select All checkbox should be deleted out-right, I can't even believe that made it to the "release" version of classicraft, that's like begging users to load your site up! haha), as well as, the root of the category should not be selectable (or, the option should be given within the acp that allows us to determine which categories are titles only, and which categories are postable. Last and not least, the sub-sub-categories should be displayed as well. Or at very least, should be displayed when you click on it's parent. If you can tell me which files to edit, along with, what changes to make inorder to achieve these things, I will happily make the changes myself. Other than that, this is some pretty solid looking software. Thanks!

2. spammr

spammr New Member

And just to put this out there, I do see the sub-categories in the drop-down menu, however, they follow the same format as the main categories that they are within. They should either be indented to let the user know those are sub-categories, or, as mentioned below) the main categories should only be selectable, and once someone clicks the main category, it displays on the page all of it's children categories). As it is now, when I click on the main category, it only shows the sub categories, but not the sub-sub categories (on the main page that is). But first things first, the main category should not be postable, it should be a Bold Title/Header only, that, once clicked, opens the page of it's children categories. For example.

If I have a category named Electronics, and I didn't want to be as specific as I am being with my site and add any children categories, I just wanted to let my users post any and everything related to electronics to a category named "Electronics". Then, there should be two steps. Create a Main Title/Header named Electronics, (not postable, title only for orginization). And within that, create a child-category named "Electronics" that IS postable. Now, regardless, even if someone wanted to create such a category, that would be a horrible mess if any and every kind of electronics being listed was posted to a SINGLE category, so a better form of organization is necessary at this point. Having the option to post something as a Title (unpostable) instead of a listing category (postable) should honestly be the default format for anyone who expects to have any kind of organization of their site. Because if I have a section called For Sale, and within that I have 20 sub-categories of different items for sale, if someone goes to post on it as it is now, they will ALL just post into the For Sale category. What a mess! That's no good... Could you imagine a site where everything that is for sale was posted in a single category? Versus, in a specific category? It has to be changed...

I'll attach an image of what i would have expected to give you a better understanding of what I'm looking for. Be back in a bit. Gonna open up good old MS Paint. :p

3. spammr

spammr New Member

Here I show the program As It Is, when someone goes to make a post. There is an option for Select All (terrible option, should be deleted out-right). Next, the main category For Sale, has a check box beside it (should be deleted). Next, I have a category within For Sale titled Boats that has IT'S own sub category titled Kayaks. Because I don't want my users to post Jon Boats, and Kayaks and Yachts all under one category called Boats, I am going to make sub-categories. So basically, I don't want people flooding "Boats" (no pun intended) with all kinds of different styles of boats. If the admin control panel had the option underneath the description box to put a check in the box if this category is a title only (category header) and is not postable that would be a good start!

See picture two As IT Should Be to see what I mean. Titles are not selectable, and the use of radio buttons forces a single decision to be made about which category is appropriate to post to. Thanks for your time!

EDIT: (I made a mistake on the As It Should Be by putting a radio button next to Clothes, since Clothes has it's own children categories, but I think you can understand where I'm going with this)

Attached Files:

4. spammr

spammr New Member

Here I show how unorganized the main page is under my For Sale Category. The subcategories are all over the place no where near their parent categories, and are treated as if they are their own seperate categories. That kind of trumps the necessaity of programming the software to accept (parents) within the admin control panel if it just lists it without form anyways.

But I also attached an image of how I feel it SHOULD be when dealing with categories that have children categories. As it is now, when I click on a parent category such as Clothes, it does not list the title Clothes, and it does not list any of the children categories.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

5. spammr

spammr New Member

Listed above are the very basic, (and minimum) amount of fixes I see that need to be made inorder for this software to be functional.

6. spammr

spammr New Member

I would think of it like this. Within the admin panel, it should be interpreted that, if a category has sub-categories, that the category itself is not postable, only it's sub-categories. However when it displays them on the main page, it only lists the parent categories until someone clicks on one of them. Then, it takes them to a seperate page that lists the postable (child) categories. Does any of this make sense to you guys? I'm only asking because this makes perfect sense to me and seems to me it's the way it should have been off the gate.

So the example would be that I have 2 main categories. One titled: For Sale. And one titled: For Rent.

One the main page, both of those main categories should show.

Within those categories should show the parent categories whether they have children categories or not. Only show the main categories. If they have children categories with posts inside of them, display the total number of posts within that entire categories. For example.

For Sale

Antiques (2)
    Clothes (40)

And when someone clicks on Clothes, it takes them to a page that says:

Clothes

Baby-Clothes (10) Children Clothes (10) Young Adults (10) Adults (10)...

7. Nitesh

Nitesh Support Staff

Hello,

Theme fulfill your nearly all requirements else then first one.
    Theme's front page is designed to show a parent category (For example Clothes) with multiple sub categories under it. In a alphabetical order.
    But you are trying to show parent category then sub category and then sub sub category under it.

For sidebar category widget.
    That widget display only those categories which contain ads.
    That's why currently it is showing zero category.

For single category select.
    Sending you customized theme through mail. Upload and check it. It will fulfill your requirement.