Theme Updates

Discussion in 'BlackBird WordPress Theme' started by faraway, Sep 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. faraway

faraway Member

The Blackbird Pro theme doesn't provide automatic update alerts in Wordpress. How do you alert users there's been an update (I'm about three behind now) and what steps should a user take to successfully update their theme?

2. Harmeet

Harmeet Support Staff

Hello,

Our developer is working on the issue, Soon you will receive mail when ever a theme is get updated.
    And for now you just download the updated theme from your members area and replace it with previous one.

Your theme will be updated.

3. faraway

faraway Member

Thanks - an email alert with instructions will be fantastic in the future.

For the time being, I'm a bit confused about what to do. I currently have four different Blackbird folders in my Themes folder. Do I add another one - or can I get rid of the others? And, will all my Style Option settings remain?

Regards, Faraway

4. Piyush

Piyush Support Staff

Hello,

Your theme option content and css code in the Custom CSS section will remain intact while Theme update but if you have make changes in php files (like header.php, sidebar.php ,footer.php..etc.) of theme then you will loss your changes while Theme update.

To avoid this loss you can use child Theme.
    Follow the link given below for more details
    http://www.inkthemes.com/httpwww-in...rdpress-a-way-to-save-themes-modification/02/

After creating child Theme and make all your required changes in the php file of child theme and then update your Parent Theme.

You can download the upgrade version of BlackBird theme from members area (http://inkthemes.com/members/member/index) and update your theme.

Follow the instruction in the link given below to update your theme.
    http://www.inkthemes.com/how-to-update-a-premium-theme-by-inkthemes/05/

5. faraway

faraway Member

Thanks for this information. Unfortunately, the first link you provided doesn't work so I'm still pretty confused. I've downloaded the upgrade version. What do I do next to avoid losing any of the special settings and changes I've made to the footer etc?

Faraway

6. Piyush

Piyush Support Staff

7. faraway

faraway Member

Ok - Thanks for that. The thing I don't understand is what to do about the theme folders I already have - there are already four of them and they're all blackbird theme folders with slightly different names. Is there a way of telling which might be the parent and which I need to keep as the child?

8. Nitesh

Nitesh Support Staff

Hello,

For this go to the child theme editor and check it's parent directory name.

childtheme.png

After that access your WordPress through FTP and remove themes with different names only leave theme with the name which is in the child theme editor.

9. faraway

faraway Member

Thanks, Nitesh. Unfortunately, I can't see the Child Theme in the Editor. I can attach a screenshot of the themes I have installed - would that help you to tell me if any of them is a 'child theme'?

Thanks, Faraway

10. Piyush

Piyush Support Staff

Attached Files:

11. faraway

faraway Member

Hi Piyush Thanks for the zip file. I've uploaded it to my dashboard. However, I haven't activated it yet because, when I previewed my site first, it didn't display my homepage correctly. Do I need to adjust the file before activating it so that I get the same layout as the one in my parent theme? I'm a rank beginner with this and want to make sure I'm doing it correctly and hope you don't mind spelling it out for me.

Faraway

12. Piyush

Piyush Support Staff

13. faraway

faraway Member

Thanks so much for helping out by PM. All the best, Faraway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.