Google Warnings of Slow Load Times on All Pages

Discussion in 'Andrina WordPress Theme' started by sandymcdonald, Jan 15, 2014.

1. sandymcdonald

sandymcdonald Member

I had not made any changes to my site in quite a few months. I logged into Google Webmaster Tools, I saw that I had hundreds of warnings of slow load times. I never had these warnings before. I called GoDaddy to get them to analyze why thinking it may be on their end. They determined all was running well on their end but there were the following issues.

Issue 1:
    They said that there is something running on the home page called 'whip mania' and that it is API. (api.whipmania.comfortclimateservice) It is causing the homepage to take seconds longer to load. Can you tell me what this is, what it does and how to stop it?

Issue 2:
    There are 21 external links to images;
    14 links to external style sheets; and
    22 links to external java scripts.

Does this mean that these images, style sheets and java scripts are not loaded on my host server with the theme? I do have the latest version of the Andrina theme.

My website is http://comfortclimateservice.com/

Thank you for your assistance.

2. sandymcdonald

sandymcdonald Member

Is someone looking into these issues? There has not yet been any reply since I posted, which is unusual. thank you.

3. Nitesh

Nitesh Support Staff

Hello,

1) Theme don't have such API 'whip mania'. I think one of your installed plugin is using it.
    2) If you deactivate all plugin and check your site. You will not get any external link (Links not loading at your server) for images, js and css. Theme contain only those links which are loading at your own server.

Thanks & Regards
    Nitesh Raghuwanshi

4. sandymcdonald

sandymcdonald Member

I disabled all plugins except SEO by Yoast and the Testimonials page. The performance only increased very slightly having very poor scores on mobile (responsive) poor scores on the desktop. There are many suggestions using the Google PageSpeed Insights tool, but the 'Critical' items to fix are 1)Remove render-blocking java script and 2)Optimize CSS delivery of a list of items that seem to be theme related. It says that my home page has 'Your page has 8 blocking script resources and 7 blocking CSS resources. This causes a delay in rendering your page.'

Attached is a screen shot of the critical list. Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 11.35.31 PM.png

5. sandymcdonald

sandymcdonald Member

6. Piyush

Piyush Support Staff

Hello Sandymcdonald,

We have checked the image that you have provided above,the link shows in that image are of theme supported file links.
    These are files that are exist on your own server in the theme directory itself.

For increasing the speed of website you can use any cache plugin,
    It helps to increase the speed of website.
    Search cache plugin from WordPress.org site and upload it in your dashboard.

We personally suggest you to use recommended dimension images for slider and feature area images.

7. sandymcdonald

sandymcdonald Member

I will get back with GoDaddy to test again to make sure there are no calls to external files with the plugins deactivated.

I found additional issues when using the Google page speed tool.

1) How do I Remove render-blocking JavaScripts listed in the attachment above?

2) How do I optimize CSS delivery for the items listed in the attachment above?

I did have the cache plugin activated, but then deactivated it upon your instruction. I will activate it once again. What settings do you recommend beyond the default ones?

Regarding the image size, what are the recommended images sizes for the slider and feature images? I thought I had resized, but may have sized them to the wrong size.

Thank you.

8. Nitesh

Nitesh Support Staff

Hello,

JS and css files you are talking about are most required files for the theme.
    It is not possible to remove them or make them inline.

I have checked your site with speed checker tools. Your site received more then 92% grade.
    And i think this is good grade percentage for any site.
    I really not getting why you are so worried about loading time. Your site is loading quite fast.
    Images used in your site are also of recommended size.

Thanks & Regards
    Nitesh Raghuwanshi

9. sandymcdonald

sandymcdonald Member

Hi Nitesh,

What started my looking into this was the 150 warning signs under site maps in Google Webmaster tools. All were for slow load times. This is the 1st time in almost 2 years that I've had warnings.

The first thing I did was call GoDaddy and have them look into the slow response time. They are the ones who told me to check with you guys regarding all the calls to external files mentioned above.

The next thing I did was to test using the Google Developers PageSpeed Insights tool. The score for mobile is 63/100 (red) while the desktop score is 79/100 (yellow).

If you do not see any calls to external files now since I've disabled most of the plugins, I will call GoDaddy back and retest.

Thanks for helping me look into this.

Sandy

10. seamonster

seamonster New Member

I have the exact same issue www.elegantpainting.com
    Mobile; 55/100
    desktop; 69/100
    tried all cache plugins to no avail

11. seamonster

seamonster New Member

Hey I found a few solutions you might want to try

Don't use go daddy. I was with them for years and my site was always slow. Switched to similarly priced server....still not great but much better that Godaddy. A $30/mo hosting would be ideal.

Remove as many theme images as possible. The contact bar on the bottom, etc.
    Disable slider.
    remove the tweet box in the widget

Use CDN. Free at cloudflare. This service made my huge photo gallery load in under 1 second and each image opens in about 1 second.