Clear Instructions needed on Importing CSV to populate Geocraft

Discussion in 'GeoCraft WordPress Theme' started by molatin, Feb 4, 2013.

1. molatin

molatin Member

I have looked in the supplied manual and at many threads on here and I cannot find a set of instructions on how to import my business database into Geocraft via CSV.

I need to know
    - how do I arrange the fields in the CSV file?
    - can I pre-select 'free' or 'pro' on the CSV import to populate 'free' or 'pro' in the directory?
    - can I pre-select 'home' or 'categories' on the CSV import to populate FEATURED listings?

I have WordPress 3.5.1 and Geocraft 1.6.9

I have seen many threads with many problems on importing CSV files. Most have been given a solution that has still not resolved the problem. Some have 'PM's between the site owners and support staff - this does not help me or give me confidence that this importing CSV files works!

I don't see much point in having a forum if the solutions are given by PM!

1) PM sent
    2) PM's sent
    2) Bulk listings / authorship issues - not resolved

I have several thousand listings to import and I'm testing with a small sample list first. I really do not want to be dealing with each one individually or having to spend days fixing or re-installing data, updating authorship or anything else that I see in other threads - this needs to work smoothly and automatically!

Please advise on how to do this - thank you.

2. acer

acer New Member

Yes, I too need the info on bulk import of data. Kindly give detailed instructions.

3. Neeraj

Neeraj Administrator

How to Import Listing ?

1. If you have existing listings on your site, just export the CSV file to get the CSV template for import.
    See Image: dot.png 1.png

2. Open the CSV using Excel or any other spreadsheet software.
    See Image: 2.png

3. After adding the listing data. You can save the CSV file and upload it from the Import Export option under GeoCraft Settings.

4. You can choose the file and upload it using the import button.

For importing the listing as Paid listing and featuring the listing on homepage/category slider.
    See Image: 3.png

Note:
    • Don’t make any changes in your CSV file format for upload without any issues.
    • Once the CSV is made (with the exact sequence), upload your CSV file by selecting “Choose File” button.
    • After uploading the CSV file click on “Import” button. This will add your CSV file on your website.

4. molatin

molatin Member

Thanks Neeraj.

It makes total sense to export the examples already there and then use that as a template - didn't even occur to me!

Thank you for your support.

I have exported a CSV file and have one question about images.

How can I upload multiple images for multiple listings from multiple sources using the CSV method?

Or is it better to simply ask each business to add their own images to their listing once all other data is entered via CSV?

5. admin

admin Admin

You can upload the image to any particular directory on your server and than include the complete image URL in the CSV file to be imported.

Else once you listings are uploaded you can edit the listing and add the images later.

6. influxstrategies

influxstrategies New Member

I ran into an error when I exported my CSV - comma separation is the error.

My data is askew because the entries contain commas as punctuation!

You should really change the CSV format to using tabs instead of commas as tabs don't make their way into text boxes.

Luckily I can use the table headers to import new data, but I am worried about the need to backup or migrate. This could be disastrous.

Overall great work! :) Thanks

7. influxstrategies

influxstrategies New Member

Yeah, that just wasted a ton of my time. It would be nice if the import actually looked for headers to associate columns with, instead it took the column number as the field, so I had to reorganize the data to get the fields mapped right... then I still get a ton of erroneous data, a bunch of commas and punctuation made it in as listings & fields, separate from the functioning listings, but it was still extra work I felt was unnecessary. Can this be fixed so the import/export feature works? Thanks.

8. Nitesh

Nitesh Support Staff

Hello,

Create custom fields,
    Export dummy csv file,
    Add your listing content in it according to column number,
    Then import it.
    Currently this is the only possible solution in your case.

Thanks & Regards
    Nitesh Raghuwanshi