Overtime Working – Cause to Failure
According to Adrian Grenier-
Once you get into the habit of work, you can be more productive in the things you want to do.
But this does not imply that to produce best, you need to do overtime work. Overtime works simply means to complete the work, after that particular duration that was set to complete the task. For some it is because the work could not be completed into time but for some it is something to show their boss that how hardworking they are.
No doubt may be the task gets completed after working overtime, but besides this there are many negative aspects too which may not be known to overtime workers. Doing more hours doesn’t always equal more, instead you will end up getting burned out and your mind will not be fresh.
Overtime causes failure as it leads to-
- A Demotivated team
- Turnover, which in turn results in a loss of implicit knowledge to the organization
- A reduction in value
- Lack of certainty and increased discrepancy.
Set rules up, end your work at a certain time, and have some enjoyment too.
Here are some effective ways to avoid overtime and get positive results:
- Take a short break.
- Plan and organize your tasks in advance.
- Start your day early and give preference to important works first.
- Don’t waste your time, work productively, fast and accurate with a positive mentality.
- Hand over and learn to say no, overtime is evil.
- Plan some other works after your work that will never let you do overtime.
If for example 5pm is when work should end, then don’t touch anything related to work after that.
Go and have some fun, remember enjoyment is also an unavoidable part of your life. You will feel refreshed and can complete the task soon comparatively.