spam user registrations after upgrading to geocraft 1.8.5

Discussion in 'GeoCraft WordPress Theme' started by kennethtlarge, Jul 25, 2014.

1. kennethtlarge

kennethtlarge New Member

Hi there,

Our site has been hit with thousands of spam user registrations which have then been used to relay spam from our server.

In the hope of fixing the vulnerability, I yesterday upgraded to geocraft 1.8.5 and removed thousands of wp_users, wp_posts and wp_postmeta entries from the database that were created by the spam registrations. This morning, less than a day after the upgrade, I find more (50+) spam user registrations on the database. During the upgrade I also deleted the old theme folders from the server.

Wordpress and all plugins are also fully up to date. Please can you tell me as quickly as possible how I can fix this theme as my host will soon take down the site if these vulnerabilities cannot be fixed. Thank you.

2. jhughes

jhughes New Member

I am having this same problem, as we have received over 7,000 spam registrations in the past week. Please reply with a fix. Is there a way to put a captcha or a honeypot on the registration page?

3. Nitesh

Nitesh Support Staff

Hello,

Google recaptcha is integrated with the registration page of the theme. So i don't think spamming is possible from that end.
    Please share your website link. So that i can check it..

Thanks & Regards
    Nitesh Raghuwanshi

4. kennethtlarge

kennethtlarge New Member

Hi Nitesh,
    The website link is http://ocbusinessdirectory.ie. Thanks for having a look. Please let me know if you need any WP login details.

5. coaster

coaster New Member

Me too, I've had 16,000 in the last week!!!

6. Gourav

Gourav Support Staff

Hello,

Registration Page contain Google recaptcha, So auto spamming is not possible. But sometimes peoples enter captcha code manually and send spam email.
    So can't do much in it.

Thanks & Regards
    Gourav Shrivastava

7. kennethtlarge

kennethtlarge New Member

Is this normal? Manually entering recaptcha codes to send spam? The last few days spam registrations are down to 5-7 per day, so maybe it's working to some degree but I would prefer if all spam was blocked!

Does everyone have this problem even with the Google recaptcha on the registration page?
    Are there any other ways to stop the spam user registrations? Can anyone recommend any plugins for this?

[Feature request] Can users be asked to validate their account / email address on registration by clicking a link in a registration confirmation email? This is a common requirement on most sign up procedures these days.

8. coaster

coaster New Member

Hi,

Is there any way I can block all new users from the site as all the spam registrants (yes, even with captcha on) is causing cpu issues.

Many thanks
    Simon